here's a list of what big guys do and don't do in rome:
1) big guys don't get pickpocketed. not that it wasn't attempted,
but the big guys were smarter than the gypsies were, and we retained
2) big guys don't take tours. that's because big guys are too impatient
to wait for the right times to take the tours. big guys miss out
on the in-depth detail of each place, but they do get the big picture.
3) big guys give directions to people. that's because big guys carry
big maps. we gave directions to so many people - including local
romans. obviously, big guys are approachable. and big guys can even
give directions in local languages - we helped this filipino group
find their street. when our english and their italian collided,
i used my 20 word tagalog vocabulary (i hope i told then the right
4) big guys get rained upon. well, so do little guys, but big guys
attract a higher percentage of the rain. it poured while we were
waiting to go through the palatine and forum. so the big guys bought
two books on the forum/palatine, and read them while it rained.
after reading the books, we decided that big guys don't see things
that they've already read about, and decided that what big guys
really like to do is find a nice restaurant to eat at.
5) big guys get lost. even with their big maps. after seeing the
pyramid (built in 1640), we made a couple wrong turns, and ended
up walking an extra three miles. then we headed for a train station,
and found out that it was closed. the big guys got soaked before
finding the subway.
6) big guys wake up late. we had problems getting up both mornings.
i think this is related to the fact that big guys don't get enough
exercise, and that we were pretty tired from the walking.
7) big guys have fun. we really had a good time in rome. it's still
standing (it is the eternal city), but we feel we've conquered it.
venamus vidamus vicamus (or something like that).